Friday, April 9, 2010

anointed

Belabor the point. Overcome your reticence. Say exactly what you mean, in plain words, measured evenly against your intent. State your case, make your persuasions. The distance between us cannot be bridged with thoughts or words. There is that space that travel never bridges, a lapse between minds, a blind-spot that we can not perceive. Understanding is so rarely understood.

I feel your frustration: strange in my words and ways, I drift further from the commons while soaking up their many tragedies. Days fade and nights burn, the candles cast their wishes in heat and smoke. The weeks stretch like shadows at dusk even as the years topple like dreams. Time slides under the door, a note left by a recent stranger in a hand I am too tired to read. Finding the key to these translations seems an after thought, having been outside a little too long.

The long sleepless night looms before us. Heaven above you, and the stars strewn all about. The rustle and sway of green limbs, the staggered foot falls of a dozen broken revels, the plaintive note of a worried cat-- these are the depth of my mysteries. The ghosts that haunt my watch will not reveal their motives, and in that we are in agreement. God or devil, lamb or wolf, everything that lives and eats eventually is meat. The body and the blood cast their magic and their perversions. If I can not fear or love you further, I ask some indulgence for my ignorance and my limits. Let my soul go, and worry about the feast you will host. Let me fall as I may, and worry after the hunger that will have your anointed flesh and holy bones.

No comments:

Post a Comment

simmer

The hours drag and drawl, the vision blurs and fades. The world is more at once, this flight of wing and flower, this litany of sudden silk ...