Sunday, March 15, 2020

love letter ( number two)

We believe in chimneys and bricks, we believe 
in smoke so we call it gray and ribbon
as it spirals above the dusk. We believe in 
the sky so much that blue is lost
in the tumble blooming above the stiff horizon,
throaty pastel bloating the oilskin of the sun
returning to the sea. We stare until
there is no longer any light. We believe. 
And these things make sense in little worlds, 
to name, to measure, to speak, to stare:
I watch you turn from left to right,
I watch you turn away. I believe
the spill of skin, the smooth struggle of each
shoulder, the edible depth of your stride toward 
the horizon. I believe in the mottled shadows,
the elasticity of contrast as headlights 
briefly bring you back to me, the motion of
your name in deep relief across the blank pavement,
your shape touching me with what it obscures.
You move between me and distance, hair
clinging to your shoulders and the shrill
hiss of spinning tires and the struggle 
to breathe or rebuild the world in your wake. 



(first published in 1992)

No comments:

Post a Comment

simmer

The hours drag and drawl, the vision blurs and fades. The world is more at once, this flight of wing and flower, this litany of sudden silk ...