Thursday, September 24, 2020

moon prayer

When the moon at last relents, 

pushing through the pines to see

me barefoot in the dark yard

it always takes your side.

I step upon the sharp rocks

my bad blood and misshapen gait

make me dance a little dance as

I ask after you, head aimed high

like pressing heaven to confess

its many crimes. The moon aloof


refuses to give you up, 

it whispers to the winds who

tells the pines to sweep and sway

brushing me off, shooing me

away in my rags and madness 

sending me reeling, casting my lot 

all odds and orbits, the stones 

tending to my wounds

your secrets safe from

my greedy fingers and allotted 


compliment of bleeding scrapes and cuts.

The moon becomes and fades over

the months and days that run

so fast and feel so slow, my life

the shimmer of moths caught

between the porch light and

the bent of the flood of sky, 

your tears and smiles the ten thousand

goodbyes inferred and implied,

still I won’t give you up.


I won’t let go

though you are gone

I won’t let go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

simmer

The hours drag and drawl, the vision blurs and fades. The world is more at once, this flight of wing and flower, this litany of sudden silk ...