Tuesday, July 27, 2010

trampled by the sun

Sleep long enough and the dreams will sweeten the deal. Sleep long enough, you wonder why you ever woke at all. The accumulation of hours finally weighed me down, and I slept through the windy morning into the windy afternoon. Tossing, turning, smiling at the devastating paces between life and dreams. Good old days that never really happened. Earnest lovers, close friends. The dead embrace without resentment, the lost finding their way back home.

I seldom hit the nail first time trying. I almost always miss my mark. I coat the moments in lapse and failure, the pressed flowers of fantasy, the treasured letters of contradiction. That precious ache of absence, that stolen moment that makes living seem so alive. The way your smile breaks the dull litany of sin and redress. The way your hair spills, the paths made of your flesh and my abandon. I said the same thing, again and again. I said it so much it couldn't possibly be true.

Let the light find you, leisurely and rapturous in that clouded window. Let the light follow, trailing sunlight in your wake. The color of your eyes, always uncertain to me, spilling into the languid atmosphere. The color of your eyes the only vision I will keep. Let the night that loved you give you away without a fight to a dawn so seductive and timeless. Let these pale and distant wishes be the least of gifts that find you after dreaming in the ragged dark. Your life, free and cherished. Your life, brighter for the darkness endured.

No comments:

Post a Comment

simmer

The hours drag and drawl, the vision blurs and fades. The world is more at once, this flight of wing and flower, this litany of sudden silk ...