Tuesday, October 9, 2018

deliver

There’s a lot to be said for context. I’m never needed, so I’m never there. The run on sentence that trailed off. The trial period that just hangs around in case you change your mind. The lonesome that will outlive everything you know.

It’s a lot to expect. I’m always coming in in the middle of these things. This porridge too hot, this porridge too cold, where do they find the time? This is the stuff they can’t make up, so they take it while they can get it. And most of it was over before you even heard their names.

I know I ask a lot. I can tell from all the question marks I leave lying around. Socrates said know thyself, and he was letting you off easy. The forms are there for the filling. The seasons are known by their sales. The lines fall flat, I don’t deliver. I wasn’t where you had to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

simmer

The hours drag and drawl, the vision blurs and fades. The world is more at once, this flight of wing and flower, this litany of sudden silk ...