Tuesday, February 18, 2020

beat a drum

It is a whole pain day, the head, the heart, and the hand all lit and consumed. Skin slack and sagging, eyes grim and grieving, the hurt just won’t quit. I dragged this shambles down the calendar and up the clock, the ancient instrument beset with spells and enemies. I sat on the porch, reading until the harrowing sorrows set in, all blue sky wards and sunshine shields dissolving in breath and blood. The day went on and on, but night still won the race. The light tries, but there’s always more darkness to go around. 

I’ve been ditched in this dismal oblivion, scoured from the record, stripped of star and score. I seethe and spit and bleat and break. I count the crowns owed splitting, the nails needing driven in, bush bird wishes and handful curses. I idle in the driveway, I browse until the battery drops dead. I’ve forgotten all my passions and worn all the good words clean through. I write this drivel, waiting on the long count. 


You get nothing out of playing along, even less for giving up. The horror of this utter sameness, the world that your wheels can’t touch, the bitterness of the despised and denied. Keep that off switch handy, keep an eye on how much empty’s getting in. Understand the enemies you’ve made so when the undoing comes you know you earned it. Beat a drum like the cooper at the end of that film. Bang the drum slowly like in the chorus of that song. Nothing with words will mourn this passage. No one will even read them right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

simmer

The hours drag and drawl, the vision blurs and fades. The world is more at once, this flight of wing and flower, this litany of sudden silk ...